I love broccoli cheese soup, so I am excited to have a vegan version that tastes just as good!
It has been years since my last bowl of true broccoli cheese soup, but today I decided was the day I experimented and made some vegan style! It turned out surprisingly well and the whole pot was completely gone before I could even take a photo! I will be remaking and photographing this one asap!
This vegan broccoli cheese soup version has all the flavor you know and love but is also dairy-free and can be made gluten-free, too!
Quick note about this recipe, even when I use fresh ingredients like onion and garlic, I always add in some dried seasonings as well. I notice it creates more depth of flavor and I use much less salt as a result. You can omit the garlic powder and onion powder if you want but I suggest trying this trick and see if you notice a difference.
I think the best cheese flavor in this recipe is from the combination of nutritional yeast and Follow Your Heart’s American slices but feel free to use your favorites.
Vegan + Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup
A dairy-free and gluten-free version of the classic broccoli cheese soup
- 4 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Celery salt
- 1 Tbsp Onion powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup Gluten-Free flour, I use brown rice flour.
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 4 cups Unsweetened Rice Milk
- 4 cups Broccoli (I used frozen florets)
- 1 cup Carrots, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheese (I used 8 Follow Your Heart American slices)
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium-low heat
- Add in onions and garlic and stir until coated
- Add in all spices: celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast.
- Add in flour slowly, whisking as you go. If it is lumpy, don't worry. The next step will help make it smooth.
- Add in vegetable broth and rice milk, whisking until the texture is smooth and incorporated with the roux.
- Bring soup to a boil
- Add in broccoli and carrots, and bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add in cheese and stir until melted and smooth.
- Divide 2-3 cups of soup into a blender, blend. Then pour back into soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
*Blending a portion of the soup isn't necessary but makes this soup extra creamy.
*No xanthan gum is needed for this recipe, so don't worry if your gluten-free flour doesn't have it.
Let me know if you give this soup a try! What other favorites should I recreate?
Check out these other recipes!
Vegan Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Muffins